Learn the anatomy of an effective cover letter
As the document that personally introduces you (and your resume), a cover letter can be a powerful tool in a job search. The primary purpose of a cover letter is to get the reader’s attention, and ultimately, to get you an interview. However, a cover letter serves many other functions, allowing you to:
- Tell the story behind specific skills and achievements to give them more explanation or to add color to your background.
- Describe exactly how you could contribute to the success of the team/company.
- Show your knowledge of the company/industry.
- Point out a mutual connection.
- Build rapport and likability by offering a small window into your personality and motivations.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills.
- Explain something unusual on your resume, such as a gap in employment.